Netjukebox WAS my media software of choice, BUT ...

Fixed and closed topics
CBrown519
User

Netjukebox WAS my media software of choice, BUT ...

Post by CBrown519 »

... it has finally let me down in a BIG way!

My media directory is a //server/share/folder/folder location on another machine ... and this WAS working beautifully - all 14,000+ tunes in the library and I was able to control my media pc from my netbook whilst relaxing on our patio listening to the music being played to our outdoor speakers.

Then one day, I couldn't stream from it at all from any machine on my LAN at home (Other topic issue - as of yet, no resolution). I still had control of the media PC - no big deal. But, the web interface stopped working - all sorts of errors - nothing worked even after verifying the configurations.

So, I completely uninstalled NetJukeBox and all its related softwares.

After doing a complete reinstall using the instructions I initially found on MaximumPC.com, when I got to the point of Updating my library, no matter what I do, I get the error: "Unable to open/access //server/share/folder/folder" check folder permissions, yada, yada, yada.

I can open //server/share/folder/folder directly from Windows and read and write to the location. This is not a permissions issue.

I can issue "NET USE //server/share" command, verify connection is OK and instantly upon attempting to update the database, when I check the status of the //server/share connection, it tells me it's disconnected.

I'm currently at a loss to explain why such a highly promising application, which I enjoyed for several weeks, would all of a sudden so greatly disappoint. This is EXACTLY the kind of app/suite for which I spent weeks searching and evaluating alternatives for Media Center.

This WAS the brilliant solution. Now, not so much.

Hopefully someone else has some helpful advice. In the mean time, I'm searching again ...
wbartels
netjukebox developer

Re: Netjukebox WAS my media software of choice, BUT ...

Post by wbartels »

This is not a netjukebox bug, but a miss configuration.

When running Apache as a local user with the same access right as a local user, than Apache can access the network shares.
When running Apache as a service it hasn’t the same access right as the local user. And won’t let you access a network share!

So I assume the problems you described started when running netjukebox as a Service.

There are a couple of things you can do to fix it.
  • Store the media files on a locale drive.
  • Give the apache service local access rights.
  • Don’t run apache as a service
For security reasons I would advice the first solution!
CBrown519
User

Re: Netjukebox WAS my media software of choice, BUT ...

Post by CBrown519 »

WOW! How on earth did I miss that?!? Disabling Apache as a service did the trick, just like you said! I'll flog myself over in the corner after I have my foot surgically removed from my mouth! I have no idea why I set Apache and MySql up to install as services. Thank you. Thank You! THANK YOU!!!!