Random playlist

jeremy
User

Random playlist

Post by jeremy »

The feature has been in your "long run" to-do list forever now, and I keep hoping to see it included in the next release. I'm looking to create a M3U playlist filled with random tracks from my collection. Perhaps we could have the ability to define how many tracks, and maybe even a white/black list for which albums to include, but just some kind of simple one-button solution would suffice. I listen to my collection over the Internet from work every day, and I find myself always returning to the same albums. A random button would help me rediscover my older CDs.

Thanks--
Jeremy
wbartels
netjukebox developer

Re: Random playlist

Post by wbartels »

Until know I didn’t know a good way how to implement the random feature.

But now you asked me again; a good idea popped up:
I will add a random button to the media menu bar.
If you press this button you can choose between random artist, album or track.
Then you can select to play/stream/add one artist, album or track or the whole list.
Maybe I will change the implementation if I found a better way.

I will add this feature to the next release!
Sorry for the long waiting, but I do all this in my free time :wink:
jeremy
User

Post by jeremy »

I don't quite follow your description of how it will work but I'm sure it will be great. :) Please, don't apologize. We're all very lucky that you created Netjukebox at all, let alone continue to support it. I didn't mean to imply I was getting impatient, but I'm glad I said something! Can't wait to see it.

Jeremy
wbartels
netjukebox developer

Post by wbartels »

Because I have made some imported updates I will first release netjukebox 5.18 without random playback/streaming support. However I will include random playback/streaming support in netjukebox 5.19 :D
jeremy
User

Post by jeremy »

wbartels wrote:Because I have made some imported updates I will first release netjukebox 5.18 without random playback/streaming support. However I will include random playback/streaming support in netjukebox 5.19 :D
Thanks for the update. I'd rather wait and have it right than rush it out the door, for sure. What important updates are in 5.18? I don't see an updated changelog.
wbartels
netjukebox developer

Post by wbartels »

jeremy wrote:What important updates are in 5.18? I don't see an updated changelog.
I will update the changelog shortly.
In the meantime you can read the to do list
wbartels
netjukebox developer

Post by wbartels »

netjukebox 5.19 has been released and supports random view and playback.
It is also possible to blacklist one or more genre(s).
jeremy
User

Post by jeremy »

wbartels wrote:netjukebox 5.19 has been released and supports random view and playback.
Downloading! Can't wait to try it out......
wbartels
netjukebox developer

Post by wbartels »

jeremy wrote:
wbartels wrote:netjukebox 5.19 has been released and supports random view and playback.
Some minor improvements to the random view and playback are made in netjukebox 5.19b :wink:
jeremy
User

Post by jeremy »

wbartels wrote:
jeremy wrote:
Some minor improvements to the random view and playback are made in netjukebox 5.19b :wink:
Sweet, man. I'm already rediscovering my music collection and loving this feature. One suggestion: under Random -> Track view, make the list of tracks reflect the 30 tracks you get if you click the "Random tracks" Playlist. That way you can get a preview of the playlist and refresh if you don't like it.
wbartels
netjukebox developer

Post by wbartels »

jeremy wrote:Sweet, man. I'm already rediscovering my music collection and loving this feature.
Thanks, I must admit that I also love this new feature :wink:
jeremy wrote:One suggestion: under Random -> Track view, make the list of tracks reflect the 30 tracks you get if you click the "Random tracks" Playlist. That way you can get a preview of the playlist and refresh if you don't like it.
That is a good idea.
Because it is a random list all track id's must be send to the play/stream script or store it temporarily in the database.
I have to figure out what is the best way to implement it.