Quick Questions

General discussion about netjukebox
kamal
User

Quick Questions

Post by kamal »

Howdy folks

My search for looking for a DJ Mix sharing platform lead me here. While it looks like the near perfect solution for my needs, I had a few questions about the software.

1. Is there a download feature for the DJ Mixes that are uploaded? I will be using this mainly for sharing (uploading/downloading) mixes.

2. In the case of downloads, are there any link protections?

3. Can this interface with an existing vBulletin database to mirror members from groups?

Will appreciate your help.

- K
wbartels
netjukebox developer

Re: Quick Questions

Post by wbartels »

kamal wrote:Howdy folks

My search for looking for a DJ Mix sharing platform lead me here. While it looks like the near perfect solution for my needs, I had a few questions about the software.

1. Is there a download feature for the DJ Mixes that are uploaded? I will be using this mainly for sharing (uploading/downloading) mixes.

2. In the case of downloads, are there any link protections?

3. Can this interface with an existing vBulletin database to mirror members from groups?

Will appreciate your help.

- K
1 + 2) There is a download feature implemented on user basis.
The user can download a separate track or download a zip file with all tracks in it.
It is also possible to transcode the track to another format/bitrate before downloading.
There is now upload feature yet.
But you can use a FTP server for that.

3) I'm not certain about vBulletin, but phpBB stores a plain md5 hash.
Which is not compatible with netjukebox.
I based my login system on the "Alternative System" see: http://www.pajhome.org.uk/crypt/md5/auth.html
It stores the password with a random seed so it can't be reversed with an md5/sha1 database like:
http://md5.rednoize.com/ (try it out with: 1398b19dfe32ef86cf86f8cb8ff0460b)
kamal
User

Post by kamal »

Hey wbartels

Cheers for the speedy response.

What about the download / link protection? If I upload files via FTP to a given folder, will the software create dynamic links for the downloads or can they be passed around to share.

One of the reasons I'm looking to implement a software on my site is because there are several members on my site who upload mixes to megaupload and share them with our community. But then non-regular members come in, leech the links and post them all over the web. I'm trying setup a local sharing option so not only can the mixes be safe on our server, but only members of the site can download them if they register.

Btw will you be implementing an upload feature so that members can upload mixes. This will remove all the uploading responsibility from the moderators and streamline things even more.

- K
wbartels
netjukebox developer

Post by wbartels »

kamal wrote:What about the download / link protection? If I upload files via FTP to a given folder, will the software create dynamic links for the downloads or can they be passed around to share.

One of the reasons I'm looking to implement a software on my site is because there are several members on my site who upload mixes to megaupload and share them with our community. But then non-regular members come in, leech the links and post them all over the web. I'm trying setup a local sharing option so not only can the mixes be safe on our server, but only members of the site can download them if they register.
Netjukebox has a download link protection set by a cookie.
The download link will look the same for every user.

The download will only start if the cookie, client-IP and user-agent are validated.
Because the client-IP and user-agent are stored in the database, a stolen cookie won't work on another computer.

kamal wrote:Btw will you be implementing an upload feature so that members can upload mixes. This will remove all the uploading responsibility from the moderators and streamline things even more.
The upload feature is on the to do list.
But will not be implemented in the next netjukebox release.
So you have to be a little patient :wink: