NuB Questions - now what

General discussion about netjukebox
allan1015
User

NuB Questions - now what

Post by allan1015 »

Ok, I am a bit lost. I have set up netjukebox on Ubuntu and I can access http://outerself.com/netjukebox just fine
(I only have one group in there right now Ween)
I can run Update and all that seems fine.

However I cant play anything, I get get a connection (see below). I dont know if I have firewall errors or whats going on. What I want to do is sit at starbucks and play my music, I dont normally ever stream music and all this is new to me.

I also tried using vLan as a player on my laptop and selected stream from network, put in the url (see above) and nothing happens.

The ubuntu server is at home, the router forwarding port 80, 8080, 443 and several other web protocols to this server.
videoLAN error
Can't connect to: 127.0.0.1:8080
Connection refused

I get a similar error with WinAmp on differetn port.

Any help appreciated, I understand I am likely doing some real nubi mistake here.

Allan
allan1015
User

Re: NuB Questions - now what?

Post by allan1015 »

Anyone? Anyone?

I feel like spicoli here - at a loss. Point me to read somehting? I dont mind putting in the work.

Just one sceanario - can i access my music at home from a remote internet locaiton, say starbucks?
What do I need on the client in terms of software (VLC player enough)
What do I need to do on the server.

Just whisper something that will get me started. The basic steps

Much Appreciated
allan1015
User

Re: NuB Questions - now what

Post by allan1015 »

Question, is netjukebox doing the streaming sserver, or does it launch vlc (as eample) and than VLC is doing the streaming out to the internet? If the former then I need to have VLC installed on the ubuntu server?
wbartels
netjukebox developer

Post by wbartels »

allan1015 wrote:Question, is netjukebox doing the streaming sserver, or does it launch vlc (as eample) and than VLC is doing the streaming out to the internet? If the former then I need to have VLC installed on the ubuntu server?
MPD, VLC or Winamp are only intend to play files in a local network.
Than you have the option to directly play or add a track/album.
With MPD and Winamp you also have a graphical playlist.

For outside the LAN you can use streaming, there is no need for a mediaplayer on the server because netjukebox (webserver/PHP/command line encoder/decoder) does the streaming.
You can stream the source file or transcode to mp3 on the fly (config > Stream profile) .
For transcoding a stream you need to install the right encoder/decoder, for example: lame, flac, faad, oggdec.
These same encoder/decoder can be used to transcode a download (config > Download profile).
allan1015
User

Post by allan1015 »

Hi and thanks so much for the response.
I am sitting in a coffe shop using my laptopand I go to my website/netjukebox and I select a song and hit play
All I get is errors about cant connect to the player (be it VLC, Winamp, etc)

I loaded VLC on the laptop and tried to set it to stream from the same url, nothing happens

So if I don't stream from a browser and I cant stream using a player - how exactly to I accomplish listening to my music on my server over the internet?

Allan